Please comment - NCARB first attempt

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Please comment - NCARB first attempt

Postby A.Monica » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Please comment on this! We can't do this without helping eachother!!!
bs_first try.pdf

few questions:
1. I don't think I did the accent lights correctly. I came up with a 2' radius circle from the center of the fixture based on the diagrams. Is this correct? If I understood the program correctly, then at 5' a.f.f., the cones of light needs to be touching the walls and eachothers' cones??? Am I totally off? :?

2. When testing the two fixture types in each room, I found that the 2x4 was always grossly over-lighting. The only room that I thought it made sense to use the 2x4's was in the office and the accent light requirements were in conflict with the 2x4...Am I wrong?

3. Do we know the dimensions of the rigid ducts? Or can the centerline we draw be anywhere within 2' from a bearing wall/beam?

4. Do the lights need to be PERFECTLY centered in the rooms or do you just eye it? Is it easier to draw the grids in the right location first and then drop in the lights or is it better to drop in the lights and then snap the grid to them? I did the ladder and I think I spent too much time messing with that. Ended up finishing in 1:07 which is not good...

5. How far out from the bearing wall does the return grill need to protrude? I gave it a click or two.

6. Do the dampers go "inside" the wall??? Confused here...

7. Thanks so much to the entire community on this forum - I am down 4 and definitely would not be here were it not for Coach, Jenny, and all of you guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A.Monica

Re: Please comment - NCARB first attempt

Postby A.Monica » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:52 am

Please comment - could use your help!

bump...
A.Monica

Postby mick2 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:13 am

Architects office is under lit. The accent lights need to cover the whole wall.
You can't run the return through the supply shaft duct, you only need one return rigid duct.
mick2

Postby scottdpenman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:35 am

1) The lighting issue is a strange one, since ultimately with circular light you are going to have overlap, or dark spots. The thing to remember is that you don't want dark spots. Overlap is okay, for the most part. So, in order to make sure the whole wall is lit, overlap your circles a bit so that the intersections of the circles happens AT the wall. See this post for more info: http://arecoach.com/coachforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1610

2) There are acceptable examples of 2x4 lighting in nearly all of the rooms on the forum. It may not be as easy to accomplish, but it works. Though I don't think I've ever seen it used properly in the Reception/Secretary room...

3) Pretty sure it can be anywhere within 2', since no dimensions are given.

4) There is no perfect setting. I would suggest drawing the grids first.

5) I think that's good.

6) I think you can either align them to the center of the wall, or to the face. I usually do center.

Also -

I think it's safer to put return grilles a little farther away from the wall (i.e., in the Reception/Secretary room). You don't have to make them "cover" every inch of the room, they just need to be spread out well and spaced adequately from the supply.

You're missing a flex duct to the supply closet.
scottdpenman

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS