3rd time is a charm - pass

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

3rd time is a charm - pass

Postby Sirengirl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:22 pm

I get my pass last night at 10pm. This was the third time for me. These posts always scared the crap out of me. I thought OMG am I going to be that person taking an exam 3 or 4 times!!! I would quit before I let that consume me and here I am. Its not so bad as long you just remember to keep moving.

I took SS failed, BS failed then got the rhythm and passed CD,SD,PPP, SPD and BDCS. Then I retook BS in Hong Kong failed took it again 2 months later and finally passed.

The first time I took it I read everything on the NCARB list because I really wanted to pass. I read MEEB, but it was just too much information all together.

Second time I did all the usual's list everyone does.. ballast, Kaplans, Notecards, Amber, heating cooling and lighting, alkikat, skimmed Jenny notes and skimmed meeb and looked at pictures and charts. This one seemed to be so much harder than the one I took two years ago. I think the reason I failed this one was because I had a hard time testing in Hong Kong. It was a hassle you have to get used too. And I couldn't bring my A game.

3rd time 2 weeks ago. I dived into meeb and read every page. Not just the list floating around. I really studied it. Skimmed the ballast and Kaplan. Did Jenny notes. I made a copy of every graphic in meeb and studied it. I tried to do every practice question I could get my hands on. Then when I went to test I was really distracted with what was going on around me. Lots of chatter in the testing room, doors slamming etc. As I was taking the test I kept thinking this is by far the hardest one out of all three. I feel like I just kept rereading the same word problems. I was totally panicked thinking how much these tests are costing (Hong Kong is more). I left the testing center exhausted, caught a taxi, got in a fight with a taxi (trying to scam the American). Got out of the cab in the middle of nowhere, walked awhile, probably good for me, found another taxi, got to a ferry terminal, took a ferry home (trying not to notice the guy playing in his pants siting next to me), got on a bus and finally got home feeling completely hopeless and exhausted.

Worst 2 weeks ever and then I got the pass!! I will be honest I am totally shocked. If you think you failed don't lose hope. Its possible you are just dwelling on the really hard questions. good luck to all keep it rolling...

On to my last one structures!
Last edited by Sirengirl on Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirengirl

Re: 3rd time is a charm - pass

Postby KissysMom » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:25 am

Congratulations, great news :) I am sure you are very happy to have this one past you!!
KissysMom

Postby ukarchi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 am

congrats!!! way to persevere! I am taking my BS retake on Monday and will be so disappointed if its a fail since its my last one, but like you said, you just have to keep pushing until you get there.

I have not spent too mush time on MEEB (did the questions, just did not read the book) but I feel like I've gone over every other source. I hope I don't regret this decision :? Things seem to be making a little more sense this time around though, so we shall see...

Great job on your pass!! You're almost there, whohoo!!
ukarchi

Postby Sirengirl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:13 pm

thanks guys

I think the MEEB reading depends on the person. I think for some people it is a must and others don't need it. BS was really hard for me for some reason, but the other exams were fairly easy. Good Luck, I am sure you will do fine!
Sirengirl

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS