4.0 Vignette (1st Try)

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

4.0 Vignette (1st Try)

Postby Albz250 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 am

1st Crack at it... All comments much appreciated THANKS!

Just two questions:
1. When placing the beam/lintel are they suppose to be draw column to column or if more than two columns are in line are they to be draw the entire length from one end to the other. Reason I ask is because I did it both ways but don't see any difference on how it shows up on the drawing but just want to make sure when it comes to scoring.
2. When drawing the joist should the first and last joists line up with the exterior wall or better to show it centered over the walls again just want to clarify if it makes a difference during scoring.

THANKS AGAIN!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Albz250

Re: 4.0 Vignette (1st Try)

Postby little12 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:17 am

-missing a beam between your covered entry and common area. see the "yellow meets grey" rule
-don't need a beam on s-w corner of common area. it's an exterior wall and has nothing framing into it. you do need the columns coming down though, and you have that.

to answer your questions...
1. there is debate about this. but considering you are drawing actual elements, and if you click on ID it tells you the length, I drew column to column instead of continuous. you wouldn't have an 80' long beam...so why would I draw it like that. again, there is debate on this...but column to column is the safer choice.
2. i'm not sure what you're asking here. to draw the joists, you just start your box in the center of one column and go to center of opposite. you don't really do any "lining up" so to speak. you just draw the joist box. maybe i'm misunderstanding the question...
little12

Postby Mike-SE » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Albz250 wrote:1st Crack at it... All comments much appreciated THANKS!

Just two questions:
1. When placing the beam/lintel are they suppose to be draw column to column or if more than two columns are in line are they to be draw the entire length from one end to the other. Reason I ask is because I did it both ways but don't see any difference on how it shows up on the drawing but just want to make sure when it comes to scoring. draw them as separate items
2. When drawing the joist should the first and last joists line up with the exterior wall or better to show it centered over the walls again just want to clarify if it makes a difference during scoring.
center to center of columns

THANKS AGAIN!

Please read my guide, first thread in the SS forum
Mike-SE

Postby kmarie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Mike,
I read your guide and I did this vignette today as well...
Mine looks almost like Albz250's posted here but I made an effort to line up the columns to make more of a grid. Any idea whether or not this makes a difference in the grading? Sorry if this was in the guide, I don't recall it.
I've attached my version so that you can better understand what I am asking. The result is a little "goofy" in the beam/column area near the shops on the South side.

[I know that my columns and beams aren't lined up all pretty. I just did this quickly so that I could illustrate my question for you.]

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kmarie

Postby Mike-SE » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Although nice, lining up columns does not necessarily improve the efficiency of the framing.
I would definitely move the column to the corner of shop 2.
Mike-SE

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS