SS and BDCS

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

SS and BDCS

Postby appletree » Wed May 25, 2016 6:36 am

I am down to SS and BDCS as my last two exams (gulp!). Looking for some advice on pros/cons of taking one before the other. I have plenty of time left on my clock, but I would like to get them both done in the nearish future. I was thinking SS first b/c I am more likely to fail that and need to retake, but heard elsewhere that there is some overlap and studying for BDCS first will be good prep for SS as well, but not necessarily the other way around. If there is another thread somewhere on this question, feel free to just direct me, if that is easier.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
appletree

Re: SS and BDCS

Postby buckie06 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 am

I'd recommend BDCS first then SS.

SS has steel-wood-concrete topics that you'll study for during bdcs, so you'll already have a good understanding when you study for SS.

Thaddeus even suggests spending 10-15hr studying bdcs topics for the ss exam.
buckie06

Postby appletree » Wed May 25, 2016 8:49 am

thanks! if even Thaddeus recommends it..then i'm going to go with that. thank you. i'll be back here when i hopefully pass BDCS ;)
appletree

Postby buckie06 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:35 am

you're welcome, good luck.
buckie06

Postby dkismet » Fri May 27, 2016 2:53 pm

Agreed, definitely take bdcs first.

firstly, BDCS has some crossover with BS, so the closer to BS the better. secondly, BDCS is a great primer for SS. BDCS has much more volume than SS, though the concepts are rather simple. With it under your belt, it allows you to spend more time focusing on more complex structural concepts, rather than needing to memorize basic construction and design technique during you SS study. In other words, learn all of BDCS at once, and learn all of structures separately. This approach allows you to focus on the primary content of each exam. Taking SS first would require a significant BDCS preview, which I believe would be distraction from the more complex structural systems concepts .
dkismet

Postby jibit3 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Which sections of BCDS do you recommend if you are about to take SS and haven't taken BCDS?
jibit3

Postby MikeyLXT » Sat May 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Off the top of my head

Concrete/Steel/Wood/Soils/Foundations
MikeyLXT

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS