Tested Today - Update *PASS*

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Tested Today - Update *PASS*

Postby aperez1221 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Well, I tested today. The multiple choice section seemed fairly straightforward and i got through it relatively quickly, but I did mark a few questions. I saw a couple of WTF type questions but very few overall. I can't say with certainty that I aced it but it felt like every other MC portion of the exams I've taken so far. The vignettes were also straightforward but with the added touch of throwing a small wrench in the spokes that makes you really think the solution through. I feel that there is plenty of time to work through them though. I probably had 45 minutes left to review all three. They definitely don't just hand it to you.

I studied Kaplan, Ballast, skimmed FBC and read Jenny's Notes like it was my bible. I really appreciate her in depth review and her material is extremely relevant to the exam. I hope to find out how I did next Friday and I will keep you guys posted! One might benefit from skimming some Building Systems info and Structural Systems but truthfully you might be wasting your time trying to find the "needle in the haystack" that the exam might touch on. Good luck!
Last edited by aperez1221 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
aperez1221

Re: Tested Today

Postby ywmanne » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:03 am

best of luck! :D
ywmanne

Re: Tested Today *PASS*

Postby aperez1221 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:04 am

Quick update, I found out this morning that I passed! My advice to all is to do the 3.1 alternate vignettes to get used to working with a different problem / program. I did not rely heavily on FBC, so it's not necessary to read it cover to cover. Just skim the diagrams for good measure or use it as a supplement to get more info on things you don't completely grasp. Jenny's notes were KEY for me. There were items on the exam that I had just read from her notes about an hour prior to walking into the test center. Unfortunately, real world experience helps too, but I don't think I had a massive number of questions that drew from that. I've been in a firm for 8 years. Good luck to all and I'm on to Building Systems!!!
aperez1221

Postby Coach » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:16 pm

aperez1221 wrote:Unfortunately, real world experience helps too,

Unfortunately?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby aperez1221 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Coach wrote:
aperez1221 wrote:Unfortunately, real world experience helps too,

Unfortunately?

Unfortunately meaning if you do not have experience, you wouldn't be able to draw upon it to help answer questions. I can see how this would be misconstrued. Perhaps I should say "Having real world experience is helpful, too".
aperez1221

Re: Tested Today - Update *PASS*

Postby mjhunton » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:33 pm

I got a pass this morning as well. I read FBC, Ballast, used Archiflash, and didn't really focus on Kaplan. I also read through the IBC on chapters pertaining to Accessibility. I also looked at the tables and charts in the IBC that identify how you determine building size, height, construction type, etc...

I am about to study for Building Systems now as well. Trying to decide if I will use the online courses or just study independently. I have MEEB and the Amber Book along with Ballast, Kaplan, and Archi-Flash material. 5 for 5. 2 left. I'm ready to be done with this!
mjhunton

Postby hayleyalyse » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:57 pm

Just beginning to study for this, what is FBC? Also, I am planning to study for 6-7 weeks about 2 hours per night with 3-4 on the weekend. Does this sound about the right amount of time to you?

Thanks for updating me when you get a chance.
hayleyalyse

Postby Coach » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Coach
Site Admin

Postby hayleyalyse » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:42 pm

tHANKS, turns out I have that book, any particular chapters are best to read or just look at diagrams?
hayleyalyse

Postby GregC » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:35 pm

I am studying and taking this test on Monday. With regards to readings, It seems crazy, but i read the whole book. It goes really fast. I was reading 70+ pages a day with all the pictures and diagrams. To me that was really worth a week and a half of my study schedule. Just my opinion.
GregC

Postby aperez1221 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:19 pm

I didn't read the whole book, but I focused on diagrams for Woods, Metals, Concrete & Masonry. Really for me FBC was about review and clarification. For instance, the graphics for different types of wood slicing (plain, quarter, seem more clear than they are in Kaplan). I liked the diagrams for masonry as well (brick bond diagrams, etc). It's good to take a look but I don't necessarily recommend a full on reading of the book. Good luck!
aperez1221

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS