NCARB Ramp Vignette-1st Attempt

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

NCARB Ramp Vignette-1st Attempt

Postby esechrist » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:24 pm

This is my first attempt at the ramp vignette and I had a few questions:
-Is the stair rise automatically assumed to be 7" based on the number of risers and overall elevation change?
-I used a 32" door. Is this acceptable? Would a 36" door be okay as long as I maintain clearances or overkill?
-The code only requires a min 44" ramp width. Is it overkill to maintain the 60" with used in the landings?
-What is the proper railing configuration at 90 degree turns? Should I be overlapping or is within a "click" close enough?

Any other comments are appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
esechrist

Re: NCARB Ramp Vignette-1st Attempt

Postby bigcheese11 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:17 am

The stair rise is automatically calculated based on the # of risers you choose. In your case you have 5 risers, so they're 6" each. 4 risers would give you 7.5" each, so you're good.

You have to use the 36" door. A 32" door only has a clear opening of around 29-30", because you have to account for the thickness of the door.

Also, the railing on the top landing doesn't need to extend into the hallway....it can stop at the wall. you only need the extension at the top of stairs or ramps.
bigcheese11

Re: NCARB Ramp Vignette-1st Attempt

Postby esechrist » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Great. Thanks for the help.
Any thoughts on my stair width being the same 60" dimension as my landings? Will I get docked the unnecessary extra width?
esechrist

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS