Has anyone use architectexamprep study materials?

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Has anyone use architectexamprep study materials?

Postby jkubichan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:15 pm

I'm think about purchasing the SPD material from architetexamprep. Mostly for the audio studying material and additional practice exams.

I so, was it helpful? Were the questions good? Audio informative? Is it worth $99
jkubichan

Re: Has anyone use architectexamprep study materials?

Postby tatamin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:54 pm

I purchased the products from Arch Exam Prep 2 weeks ago and used for the SPD Exam which I took last Saturday.

I especially liked their MC online simulator so that I could take a mock exam while laying down on my bed - 4 tests with 65 x 4 = total of 260 questions!

Since I failed PPP in September because of the vignette, I also used their vignette workbook and associated videos a lot this time for the last 2 weeks before the exam. It was excellent! (I didn't try their audio though.)

The only regret is I was thinking about using their vignette dwg files, which also come as the part of their products, within my NCARB Software. However, it didn't work at all. It seems like the files are not intended to be used inside of the NCARB Software. Since Gang Chen's files worked perfectly in my NCARB Software, I felt like why not???

I still don't know if I passed the SPD Exam or not, but thinking about doing the same methods for my PPP retake.
It's just $99.50. Why not trying? And if you didn't like it, don't use it next time.

-Tatamin
tatamin

Postby bruno » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi I purchased their material, and it has lot of stuff. I'm currently using it as a supplemental material. The Audio is nice because David Doucette reads the entire book for you, so if you are commuting to work or have long hours to listen to it its a good material. Although I do feel that the material has a lot of filler, so I skip a lot of the chapters. Other than that I think its worth it.
bruno

Postby lakestr431 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:03 am

Hi, I bought the architectprepexam materials for SPD and I was not pleased with it. I feel that the audio might be helpful if that's how you like to learn but IMHO, their material is very basic and I also don't feel it is quite accurate sometimes and/or is confusing.

See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20749

I just took the exam and studied Ballast (SPD plus several other chapters), a quick skim of Kaplan, Jenny's notes, EPA website, Secretary of the Interiors standards, wikipedia, Fundamentals of Building Construction (ch 2), Archiflash, etc. I used to think that having as much exposure to new topics is the best approach, but I also believe it should be very reliable material, like Ballast and Kaplan. But I also agree with the above comment that it's $99 so maybe it's worth it to you to pay that for a little bit more extra material.

Good luck :)
lakestr431

Postby jkubichan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks for the input. I'm going to give it a try. Its worth it to me just for the practice question. Also Ill be able to listen at work. 2 birds 1 stone.....
jkubichan

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN