Its a PASS - study material and methods

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Its a PASS - study material and methods

Postby fbonet » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:12 am

Just received a PASS for PPP. 4 Down 3 to go. Took SD, SP, CDs, PPP (in that order) now onto BDCS, ST, BS.

I wanted to share with you all the study materials and methods used that allowed a PASS to happen:

Multiple Choice
-ARE Guidelines <Content Area and percentages are very impt. as they clearly state that the exam will be "a little bit of country and a little bit rock and roll">, really!
-Kaplan, Ballast and all Q&As
-AIA B101, A101, A201, C401, Code of Ethics
-Schiff Harding Lectures A201, B101, other
-AHPP (very important to read and understand programming, space planning, office set up, business models, delivery methods, other)
-Programming for Design, from theory to practice by Edith Cherry, FAIA
-Creating Defensible Space, Oscar Newman
-Image of the City, by Kevin Lynch
-The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation
-The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation & Illustrated Guidelines on Sustainability for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings
-LEED 2009
-IBC Codes, NFPA 101, ADA, ANSI (also used Building Codes Illustrated)
-Caroline's Notes
-ArchiFlash
-History of Urban Planning and History of Architecture (multiple sources)
-ARE Coach Forum

Vignette
-ARE 3.0 and 4.0 (about 6 times total)
-Alt Vignettes (Dorf 1 & 2); Kaplan 2009; others, about 2 times each++

Method of studying:
1. Read and studied all of the above to exhaustion
2. Practiced the vignettes many many many times, and came up with my own way of making sure I had all requirements met. For instance, read the program once to understand the overall, then read again and wrote down everything, read for the third time re-checking all notes against the program to make sure I had everything and understood all requirements. Then when doing the vignette, I would check all dimensions on the sketch rectangles and location of sketch lines and circles before actually drawing any of the requirements. Rechecking everything while doing it instead of waiting till the end will save you from the possibility of catching an error at the end and having to re-do your solution. Also did not underestimate the power of zoom, got in real close to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be.
3. Took SP and CDs before this test really helped in getting a solid foundation on contracts, delivery and practice
4. Last but not least....Experience, and Common Sense really made the difference.

Which you the best of luck to all!
fbonet

Re: Its a PASS - study material and methods

Postby WTP » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:07 am

Congrats, and thanks for the advice!
WTP

Postby ajlarchitect » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:03 am

Congrats! This is the one I will be taking next. I really appreciate the overview of what helped you to pass. Thanks.
ajlarchitect

Postby susan_m » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:42 am

What was your approximate study time?
susan_m

Postby JasonABrown » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:44 am

How long was your wait for this one? From test date to test results? I took mine on July 14, so I'm just curious.

thanks,

Jason
JasonABrown

Postby fbonet » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:20 am

Study time around 1 month . Dedicated around 4 hours during the week and 8 hours during the weekends. Five days before the exam cranked at full speed dedicating 8-12 hrs/day (took days off work). Also took full day breaks in between study sessions dedicated to having a life and enjoying summer (highly recommend it).

The response came back 8 days after testing.

Good luck all!
fbonet

Postby JasonABrown » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:36 am

Pass here as well!!!! One BDCS retake to go!
JasonABrown

Postby fbonet » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:45 am

Congrats Jason, BDCS is my next one too.
fbonet

Postby dressmaker » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:45 am

fbonet wrote:Just received a PASS for PPP. 4 Down 3 to go. Took SD, SP, CDs, PPP (in that order) now onto BDCS, ST, BS.

I wanted to share with you all the study materials and methods used that allowed a PASS to happen:

Multiple Choice
-ARE Guidelines <Content Area and percentages are very impt. as they clearly state that the exam will be "a little bit of country and a little bit rock and roll">, really!
-Kaplan, Ballast and all Q&As
-AIA B101, A101, A201, C401, Code of Ethics
-Schiff Harding Lectures A201, B101, other
-AHPP (very important to read and understand programming, space planning, office set up, business models, delivery methods, other)
-Programming for Design, from theory to practice by Edith Cherry, FAIA
-Creating Defensible Space, Oscar Newman
-Image of the City, by Kevin Lynch
-The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation
-The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation & Illustrated Guidelines on Sustainability for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings
-LEED 2009
-IBC Codes, NFPA 101, ADA, ANSI (also used Building Codes Illustrated)
-Caroline's Notes
-ArchiFlash
-History of Urban Planning and History of Architecture (multiple sources)
-ARE Coach Forum

Vignette
-ARE 3.0 and 4.0 (about 6 times total)
-Alt Vignettes (Dorf 1 & 2); Kaplan 2009; others, about 2 times each++

Method of studying:
1. Read and studied all of the above to exhaustion
2. Practiced the vignettes many many many times, and came up with my own way of making sure I had all requirements met. For instance, read the program once to understand the overall, then read again and wrote down everything, read for the third time re-checking all notes against the program to make sure I had everything and understood all requirements. Then when doing the vignette, I would check all dimensions on the sketch rectangles and location of sketch lines and circles before actually drawing any of the requirements. Rechecking everything while doing it instead of waiting till the end will save you from the possibility of catching an error at the end and having to re-do your solution. Also did not underestimate the power of zoom, got in real close to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be.
3. Took SP and CDs before this test really helped in getting a solid foundation on contracts, delivery and practice
4. Last but not least....Experience, and Common Sense really made the difference.

Which you the best of luck to all!

did you draw circle centerlines on the edge of feature, or tangent to the edge?
dressmaker

Postby fbonet » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:48 am

dressmaker,
i practiced both, recommend you use the one that best suits you.
cheers!
fbonet

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE