Passed the final A.R.E. exam

Passed the final A.R.E. exam

Postby Brooklynkid1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:46 pm

I got word a few weeks ago that I passed my final exam (yeah!) I contacted NCARB to transmit my file to my state board and they said it would take ("...anywhere between 45 and 60 days to send my file.") Needless to say I was very surprised. Does NCARB send these files quicker? It would seem to me that it is only a quick review on their part and then hit the "Send" button.
Thanks for any information the community has and good luck to one and all in their pursuit of their license.
Brooklynkid1

Re: Passed the final A.R.E. exam

Postby blacksmith » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Why did you wait til after your last pass to transmit? NCARB transmits your completed IDP file. Any time after completing IDP you could have requested it's transfer. Then your state would verify your education and IDP. Your state already knows your pass/fail exams. So that would be the last info to come in. Additionally, your state is the one the actually issues your license so they can request additional work experience. This is typical here in NY. The state is stricter than NCARB. Better hope they don't require more items now.

When NCARB transmitted my record to NY it took about 3 weeks or so. They CC'd me on the file though I couldn't actually see it, it showcased that they had done what I wanted. Not sure if there's much more you can do.
blacksmith

Postby evaughn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:50 pm

I wish I would have known this as well- (To transmit my record to my state prior to passing the exams). I passed my final exam on November 18th and requested my Record to be transmitted. I just got confirmation that it has been transmitted on Monday! So a little less than 2 months..granted it was the holidays.. . but a long time to wait I think! Hopefully Florida is faster processing so I can get my license!
evaughn

Postby Ramses » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:42 pm

I didn't understand this either. I passed my last exam in November too and was under the impression that the state already had my NCARB file since I had to request transmission to start taking the exams after completing IDP in the first place. Also was not getting the "request record transmittal" option even showing up anywhere on my "myNCARB" profile. Mailed in my licensure application and then heard back from them that the NCARB file was missing. Now waiting for who knows how long. Took NCARB a week just to answer my email request for info and then that just told me they'd "get to it by Jan 23rd." Hopefully I don't have to wait another 45 to 60 days from that point.
Ramses

Postby JeromeS » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:09 am

Ramses wrote:Also was not getting the "request record transmittal" option even showing up anywhere on my "myNCARB" profile.

Glad to know its not just me. Anybody know what's up with "Transmittal"? Of course NCARB isn't answering the phone...
JeromeS

Postby Architeer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:12 am

If you finish your IDP after your AREs then NCARB will take 30 days to review your IDP record before transmitting to your state board. It only takes "20 minutes to an hour" to check but due to the number of records 30 days is the typical timeline.

If you finished your IDP before your AREs then NCARB would have reviewed your record at the completion of your hours and trasmitted after the review at that time. The only thing left was for your board to be informed that you had indeed passed your exams. Savy?
Architeer

Postby Architeer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:44 am

Architeer wrote:If you finish your IDP after your AREs then NCARB will take 30 days to review your IDP record before transmitting to your state board. It only takes "20 minutes to an hour" to check but due to the number of records 30 days is the typical timeline.

If you finished your IDP before your AREs then NCARB would have reviewed your record at the completion of your hours and trasmitted after the review at that time. The only thing left was for your board to be informed that you had indeed passed your exams. Savy?

I found out yesterday my IDP record has been approved. It took 13 calender days.
Architeer

Postby fpr4 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:49 pm

I don't understand taking exams before completing IDP. I mean... I understand it as a candidate, but I just can't imagine the concept of being a competent architect 2.5 years out of school.
fpr4

Postby piemax » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:56 pm

If my state adopts the new IDP requirements, I will finish my IDP and exams a year out of school this June. We'll see how long it takes them to realize that giving licenses to 25 year olds probably isn't the best idea.
piemax

Postby Design intent » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:35 am

I don't see what's wrong with it. I don't think your age has anything to do with competency.
If you are working while in school, you should be able to use that experience towards licensure.
Design intent

Postby fpr4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:55 am

Design intent wrote:I don't see what's wrong with it. I don't think your age has anything to do with competency.
If you are working while in school, you should be able to use that experience towards licensure.

No... but experience does. And it's hard to be too terribly experienced at 25.

Let's just put it this way. If I was hiring an architect, I wouldn't hire anyone under 30. My prerequisite on age would probably be pretty close to the criteria required to take the office of us president. And that would eliminate me from contention.
fpr4

Postby Architeer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:21 am

fpr4 wrote:
Design intent wrote:I don't see what's wrong with it. I don't think your age has anything to do with competency.

No... but experience does. And it's hard to be too terribly experienced at 25.

Let's just put it this way. If I was hiring an architect, I wouldn't hire anyone under 30. My prerequisite on age would probably be pretty close to the criteria required to take the office of us president. And that would eliminate me from contention.

I see where you're coming from although you're painting with a pretty broad brush. It all depends on the experience of that person. If an architect that is licensed at 35 has been doing nothing by construction documents for his entire professional life then how are they any more qualified than someone who is 27 and had a very broad experience path?

It all comes down to YOUR interviewing skills as to what you require and and are looking for.
Architeer

Postby jokermtb » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:25 pm

I can't tell you how many over 35-40+ year old experienced architects I've had to teach BIM to (when I worked for a big A/E years and years ago). Their 'experience' was in fact their biggest hindrance to learning a new design tool that the CEO n' friends had deemed 'the great step forward'. Turns out in the long run, it was a 'great leap backwards'.....From what I've seen in my rather bizarre career path (I now share ownership in my own 2-man architecture biz), it's always a blend of experiences and desire that get you thru the hoops of fire that come your way. I'd never dismiss someone outright because of their age, and while experience is desirable, it's not the end-all. In the end, even the greats have to design a toilet room once in a while.....
jokermtb

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION