Two at Once?

Two at Once?

Postby Design intent » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Have you ever studied for two exams at one time? I am thinking of taking SS and PPP (retake) in the same month. So there would be some time when I would be studying for both exams.

What are your thoughts?
Design intent

Re: Two at Once?

Postby Coach » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:58 pm

We used to prepare for 9 at once and take them all over a 4 day period.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby buckie06 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:07 am

I don't think it would be a problem if you remember alot of the material from the first time you took PPP
buckie06

Postby shirokuma » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:31 am

Studying for several exams at one time worked for me.

I took PPP, SPD, SD in a row within a same week, then BDCS, CDS, and BS within another same week. I did this because of the difficulty of arranging trips to the testing center and it certainly has put me under a lot of pressure. But it was doable after all and I believe there is some synergy when you study related subjects concurrently.
shirokuma

Postby skyhook » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:55 am

Go for it. Synthesizing multiple tests at once worked for me.

A Client makes a program change and the architect makes mental notes of 6 plus things (seemingly unrelated) that will be affected.
skyhook

Postby DENNY CRANE » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:25 pm

ironic, I have the same issue with the same two test, asked the same question and coach answered the same way :shock:
DENNY CRANE

Postby DENNY CRANE » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:35 pm

ironic, I have the same issue with the same two test, asked the same question and coach answered the same way :shock:
DENNY CRANE

Postby Design intent » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:40 am

DENNY CRANE wrote:ironic, I have the same issue with the same two test, asked the same question and coach answered the same way :shock:

Yeah, :roll: sometimes Coach is not in a "coaching" mood, I suppose.

FWIW, I ended up rescheduling SS, to space them out some. I just didn't end up studying both in as much detail as I thought I would. It was to my benefit though, because I did end up passing PPP.
Design intent

Postby Coach » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Design intent wrote:Yeah, :roll: sometimes Coach is not in a "coaching" mood, I suppose.

Just too subtle for you I suppose.

Every once in a while someone posts about being very aggressive with their scheduling -- approaching something similar to the way things were done before the digital exam -- and they had good results.

What I've sensed over the years is that the current system has created an environment of fear and over-study.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby AngerIsAnEnergy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:26 am

" What I've sensed over the years is that the current system has created an environment of fear and over-study. "

Well if that doesn't perfectly describe the current atmosphere...! I think you're exactly right.

I'm just beginning the process -- how long are most people studying for each exam? Makes me wonder-- some of the posted study lists look mountainous!
AngerIsAnEnergy

Postby buckie06 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:35 am

totally agree Coach, people are studying way too long and using too much study material

at first I was doing a month per exam based on suggestions here, but after three exams I've switched to two weeks of studying.
buckie06

Postby AngerIsAnEnergy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:31 am

buckie06 wrote:totally agree Coach, people are studying way too long and using too much study material

at first I was doing a month per exam based on suggestions here, but after three exams I've switched to two weeks of studying.

Well that's great to hear, Buckie -- sounds like it's going great for you.

Some of the lists of study material posted literally include 20 sources. Wow -- what kind of spaceship are we building???..... ;) What materials are you concentrating on? I'm sure my intelligence is about average on a good day -- but honestly, I'm thinking I'll read Ballast and Kaplan and then take the CDS test (my first)... any thoughts?

I've been working in the field quite a while -- doing everything from design to project management -- do you (or anyone else) have any input as to whether that affects necessary study time?

Thanks --
AngerIsAnEnergy

Postby Design intent » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:07 pm

AngerIsAnEnergy wrote:
buckie06 wrote:totally agree Coach, people are studying way too long and using too much study material

Well that's great to hear, Buckie -- sounds like it's going great for you.

Some of the lists of study material posted literally include 20 sources. Wow -- what kind of spaceship are we building???..... ;) What materials are you concentrating on? I'm sure my intelligence is about average on a good day -- but honestly, I'm thinking I'll read Ballast and Kaplan and then take the CDS test (my first)... any thoughts?

I've been working in the field quite a while -- doing everything from design to project management -- do you (or anyone else) have any input as to whether that affects necessary study time?

Thanks --

I have often wondered about the validity of the posted study lists and the amount of time people are dedicating to each source. I have been using Kaplan, supplemented by a few chapters here and there in some of my old textbooks. I have also listened to quite a few lectures on topics, in which I needed more clarity.

I find the questions are more about logic than knowledge. It is not enough to know the material, you need to understand how to apply it to varying situations.

For CD's, I would listen to the Schiff Hardin lectures, read through the AIA contracts and if you have been doing project mgmt you should be fine with Kaplan and Ballast as your guide.
Design intent

Postby AngerIsAnEnergy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks, DesignIntent...good to know. I guess I'll be the first to know if I'm under-studying...
AngerIsAnEnergy

Postby gymbunny04 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:50 am

Coach wrote:What I've sensed over the years is that the current system has created an environment of fear and over-study.

yes.
gymbunny04

Postby gymbunny04 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:00 am

AngerIsAnEnergy wrote:" What I've sensed over the years is that the current system has created an environment of fear and over-study. "

Well if that doesn't perfectly describe the current atmosphere...! I think you're exactly right.

I'm just beginning the process -- how long are most people studying for each exam? Makes me wonder-- some of the posted study lists look mountainous!

I did all 7 in exactly 6 months. Gave myself anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 weeks to study, based on my level of comfort with each topic after briefly reviewing the NCARB exam guides. I decided my order, gave myself a 'date' for each exam, and stuck to it (mainly). I'd take an exam typically on Monday, give myself 2-3 days of no studying of any kind, and get right back on board studying for the next one. I finished only one week later than I had originally anticipated. I had major stress, but now that it's over, I am SO happy and it feels like all of the anguish was 100% worth it.

It was helpful because I never gave myself long enough between exams to get out of the rhythm, so I didn't have any excuses as to why I was delaying my next exam.

Also, I did it leading up to my wedding (not my best decision haha), and concurrently with a major work deadline/submission (which was 3 days prior to our wedding). I took the last one a week before I got married, so it can be done even if you have other obligations as long as you decide and use willpower to stick to it! Getting started is the hardest part, closely followed by saying no to more social gatherings than I care to remember ;)
gymbunny04

Postby AngerIsAnEnergy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks for all the input, gymbunny -- and congratulations on passing the ARE -- and on the wedding.
AngerIsAnEnergy

Postby gymbunny04 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:27 pm

AngerIsAnEnergy wrote:Thanks for all the input, gymbunny -- and congratulations on passing the ARE -- and on the wedding.

Thanks! Don't let the overwhelming nature of the study material posted sway you from digging in! Jenny's guides are great, and so is Ballast - they're good 'overall' guides, and quite thorough. Except for SS... I'd recommend David Thaddeus lectures with Jenny's notes (I ignored Ballast on that one). Lots of practice exams and make flashcards if you think that might help (I made hundreds!). A few supplemental readings here and there based on feedback from the boards (you'll see a pattern of recommendations as you read through each exam board). Delve deeper into topics you don't understand, most resources for that can be found for free online, and many links are provided within member posts. Good luck!!
gymbunny04

Postby DENNY CRANE » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:07 pm

The last test I took (PPP), I studied for two weeks then decided to test 2 weeks later. Unfortunately for me the next test was 5 weeks away!!! I nearly died trying to stay focused that long. I eventually "burned out" and by the day of the test I just wanted to get it over with. Of course I failed it and vowed never to study that long again. :oops:

Next time I'll make a date then start studying 4 weeks prior.
DENNY CRANE

Postby crishe3 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:33 pm

It depends on how comfortable you are with the test material. I would not take more than one on the same day, but I took majority of mine with 3 weeks between test. I finished by taking SS on December 3rd and BDCS on December 10th. I annihilated both of them. I honestly believe you could take all tests within 3 months.
crishe3

Postby Centroidal14 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Are there others in the same boat? Some people say SS and BDCS having overlapping material and I wonder if it would be good to take those two exams one day after the other. My strategy is changing and I have not done well so perhaps studying both will open up the mind??

Are there other people two (or even 3) at once? Days that are back to back to back.

As coach said above. It has been done in before before our current test taking methods and procedures.

Would love to hear more thoughts. I'm tired of the anguish! i want to be an architect already!!!

Thanks
Centroidal14

Postby rschindler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:17 pm

I have CDS and PPP both scheduled for May 1. I've already failed CDS my first time in January, but I feel i know the material pretty well and may have just been unlucky and got a tough exam that time. I figured that since everyone says that these two exams have a ton of overlap, why not just take them both the same day? The vignettes for these seem pretty straight forward (I passed the CDS vignette when i took it). Crossing my fingers and hope i pass them both!
rschindler

Postby Design intent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:36 am

rschindler wrote:I have CDS and PPP both scheduled for May 1. I've already failed CDS my first time in January, but I feel i know the material pretty well and may have just been unlucky and got a tough exam that time. I figured that since everyone says that these two exams have a ton of overlap, why not just take them both the same day? The vignettes for these seem pretty straight forward (I passed the CDS vignette when i took it). Crossing my fingers and hope i pass them both!

Wow! Good luck!
Design intent

Postby sccdc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:27 am

I took PPP and SPD one week apart. When I looked at the recommended study material, it just seemed like there was so much overlap I might as well, and that was stressful, but it worked. The week in between I just prepared for the SPD vignettes.

Those were the only two that I felt confident enough to do that with, but if you feel confident enough with other exams, I'd go for it.
sccdc

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION